Wednesday 20 December 2017

Two year ticks within minutes..














A bland drive in via Chichester and Coldwaltham in misty conditions was birdless - even the usual roadside Buzzards were absent/invisible.

At PB, in rapidly clearing weathet, plenty of Bullfinches around the trails, probably a dozen or more. From Westmead, meeting up with Carey, just the usual wildfowl, half a dozen Snipe and a very distant Peregrine in its tree well off the reserve to the west.

Pete called to say they were watching the Temminck's so I headed round to the north brooks (where the bird had been re-found by visitors) with three guys from the Bexhill area,  hearing a Chiffchaff along Adder Alley on the way.  It took a while and only gave very distant views through one chap's ATX 85 - I wouldn't have found it with my scope and no tripod. Time for a new scope in 2018 I think!!

So, that was the first year tick, the first Temmincks in over 6 years (the last also being at Pulborough) and my first ever in December. Talked to a visitor who I recognised as ex-BTO man John Marchant who was also part of FRG back in the day and who I last bumped into over 38 years ago in Eilat!! A second year tick!!

Bird wise just 100+ godwits and a couple of dozen Redwings and a hidden, calling Water Rail.