Thursday 9 August 2018

C-Day

Nature’s Loan
 I'll lend you for a little while,
A beautiful hawk of mine
For you to care for and enjoy
For an unknown period of time.
The years, they may be ten or
More, or his days they may be few.
But will you, `til I want him back,
Treasure him as I do?

He brings with him my secret truths
And though his demeanor's wild,
You'll form a bond most unique
Like a parent with a child.
I can't say how long the loan will be,
Since all from Earth must return,
But with each day there's lessons taught
Through hawks that you will learn.

I've looked the wide world over now
For a falconer as good as you,
But on my list of worthy ones,
There are only but a few.
Will you give his soul the flight it needs
And keep him well maintained?
And not hate me when the contract ends
And I take him back again?

I answered in all sincerity,
All you ask, it will be done.
For all the joys this hawk may bring,
The risk of loss I'll run.
I'll train him with a gentle hand,
And fly him when I may.
As for the trust you have in me,
More thanks I can not say.
But if you come and call for him
Much sooner than I prayed,
I'll know he's in the best of hands -
With the One by whom he was made.