Saturday 14 September 2019

Autumn part 1

Seems particularly relevant now:-

I twist the truth, I rule the world, my crown is called deceit
I am the emperor of lies, you grovel at my feet
I rob you and I slaughter you, your downfall is my gain
And still you play the sycophant and revel in your pain
And all my promises are lies, all my love is hate
I am the politician and I decide your fate

First week of Autumn has been uninspiring and the proximity of G3 22 Culver the WTE never turned into a sighting. The juvenile Osprey seen on a few occasions at TH was one of this year's bird from Loch of the Lowes whilst the second was a four year old bird from the same area. These both departed but one or two remain on Thorney and North Binness. Thorney continues to host the Cattle Egrets from the local colony.

Secrets of the Heath was entertaining and thanks to Rob and Anna for my first Wasp Spiders at this site, some NfY hovers but sadly no credit card facility in the beer tent, so a 'dry' visit!! The Wildlife Trust were emptying a moth trap which wasn't busy but held Bordered Beauty and a couple of nice Feathered Gothic, Rosy Rustic and Flounced Rustics. Later, at the park, very quiet with just a chubby female Adder slithering away silently at my approroach at the top of the diagonal path and a particularly noisy Marsh Tit taking berries from a bush adjacent to the marquee cafe.

A non birding visit to Selborne produced just calling Buzzard, a Southern Hawker and a few bees/hovers but opened an opportunity for a moth trap later in the week all being well.

Week two started with an unexpected site-tick at TH, a Purple Sandpiper found by IM and later relocated on the yacht club beach. Keeping my distance whilst MF rattled off a few frames saw the bird run straight towards me - for a second I thought it was going to perch up on my shoe!

Rather better but considerably less confiding was the second Red-necked Phalarope at PB ( a juvenile after the summer's adult) typically found by MP on a very early visit and tweeted out immediately. After too-ing and fro-ing between the various viewpoints some decent views were obtained and the presence of this ensured lots of visitors including Chris and Kerry (wine gum lady!!) with their Chichester group, ARK, JK, GK and RB, AB and C/JM etc.
Supporting cast was limited to a few other waders and a nice Marsh Harrier.
On leaving the small patch of Ivy at the entrance held a hunting Hornet, Tachina fera, Myathropa florea, Ichneumon spp and a couple of Ivy Bees.
Back home a final surprise discovered by Andrew was a Convolulus Hawkmoth on his garden gate, my first since catching one two years ago at No 3.

Thursday saw a moth-trapping visit to Selborne with a one to one with CP. Nothing too different but more Feathered Gothic, Rosy Rustic, Flounced Rustic, Burnished Brass etc - Twenty-plumed through a handlens was best.
Improving weather saw a couple of Sparrowhawks rising up to potentially intercept overflying hirundines.


Friday's Spider Course may prove to be the highlight of the week.

And below, phalarope watchers, spider with prey, female Wasp Spider, male Ivy Bee