Sunday 28 April 2024

Time for a change!!










Plus

Plus



Equals






The Swarovski 8x30 Companions were a bit of a 'Covid-buy' four years ago whilst needing a small, light pair of binoculars that my arthritic hands could hold. Unfortunately, unlike the 12×50 WBs or the old Zeiss 7x42 Victorys, they never grew on me and I found they spent most of their time in the soft case at the back of the cupboard; the old 8x32 Opticrons were optically OK for a small pair to carry on non-birding days.
So, before losing anymore value it seemed that a trip to LCE's field event at Lakeside would be a good opportunity to p/x them.

Exiting town a Whimbrel flipped eastwards over the motorway and unlike Thursday's jaunt to Lymington, the M27 was running fine and the travel time and distance were spot on Google Maps suggestions. 

Parking was easy and free which is so unusual these days although sadly the weather was cold and grey and not suitable for any macro photography. A pro photographer, down from Scotland to run morning and afternoon sessions of macro-photo walks, was, I'm  sure, struggling to find nice subjects.

The LCE staff were great and the venue, in my eyes at least, far superior to Titchfield, with much more space for all the gear including an Olympus rep with a whole bunch of camera bodies and lenses etc. Another visitor, like myself, was a recent purchaser of the 90 macro and also struggling to find subjects

I tried the Leica Trinovid 8x32 for the fabulous close focus for plants and insects but struggled to get an image in focus in both eyes; I think my brain just couldn't cope. The Papilios live to fight another day!!

And so the Zeiss, my first choice, came home with me. A better p/x offer than elsewhere AND a better 'show price' AND a free trail cam!! What's not to like.

Bird wise just lots of broods of Greylags, four Great Crested Grebe chicks with an adult and a smattering of woodland/scrub bird song.






















A few plants below and a recommendation for the cafe - 7/10 for breakfast let down by tough bacon but good otherwise.  A bit noisy, unsurprisingly,  being the weekend but will definitely be returning on a warm, sunny 'invert' day in future.

Below, Green Alkanet, White Campion, Three-cornered Leek, Vetch, Cuckoo Flower, Red Clover, Woodruff (I think!)  and a mass or Epimedium/Barrenwort.