Saturday, 25 July 2026

Friday - more moths with Ed and Zoe

Arrived, as before, with half an hour for a Harbourside coffee and some time with about ten recently returned Turnstones mostly still tortoiseshell coloured.

A dozen of us enjoyed two traps full of moths. Nothing new but plenty of the usual crowd pleasers. Waiting for the full list in the days to come. A Sawfly, Hemichroa australis was the best of the interlopers.

Dewicks Plusia was new for me and Bordered Straw and Drinkervwerecsoecies I've never caught; Four-spotted Footman is a species I've only had once in the garden trap.

The east side produced a GWE with Little Egret close by and a Sparrowhawk escorted away by twenty or more irate Common Terns. A juvenile Sparrowhawk was calling from the scrub behind walkway pond and a few Willow Warblers were calling. Very quiet for insects but Volucella inanis was NfY and another Leptura quadrifasciata 'jumped ship' just before I could press the shutter and finally, below, a Long-winged Conehead.

On the west side a brief chat with first Mark, then Tony and finally David - with four or five Common Common Sandpipers and one Spotted Redshank plus some very tiny Common Terns chicks. Two of this years Marsh Harriers were distant.









I finally managed some nice views of Norfolk Hawker just to the west of MSH but with only the OMTG7 pictures were out of the question.

Others had a couple of drake Common Scoter offshore.