Thursday 26 May 2016

Butser Hill

After a slow start with the morning paper, coffee and sausage and egg bap at QECP, I finally got going on a nice bright morning. Unfortunately, it was a little too early in the day and the path I planned to walk for hovers was in deep shade. Three singing firecrests, well concealed now, a single Bee fly and a few Xylota segnis were all so could find in 20 minutes so I drove around to Butser.
Despite living reasonably close for most of my life this was my first visit here. By now the weather had cooled and it was mostly overcast. Still good numbers of Early Purple Orchids and Cowslips with a few butterflies on the north facing slope with Duke of Burgundys and Grizzled Skipper the best and Small Heath the most numerous. Precious little birdlife other than a few skylarks and not much in the way of insects although a late find of Xanthogramma citrofasciatum, new for me, was easily the 'find of the day' and pictured here.