Tuesday 17 May 2016

The Milky Way

A chance encounter with a gentleman at Petersfield's Heath Pond (quick lesson in differentiating Goat Willow etc) led me to going off to  in search of Ramsons and hence Portevenia maculata. I was told the area was called the Milky Way but assumed it was a local name;  little did I know it's marked on the OS Map as such!!
Despite not having a clue where I was going I managed to find the site just as the temperature dropped and clouds blew in. So no sign of PM.  Heading back, the sun popped out and several Merodon equestris started buzzing around, thoroughly dusted in pollen (pictured). Arriving back at the car a Firecrest was singing strongly and came to check me out when I started pishing. Amazing how this bird's population has rocketed since I started birding.

Lunch on a bench by the pond and a couple of village pics.

Earlier at Heath Pond several singing Reed Warblers including two in bramble scrub and one in a garden adjacent to the road which was  still singing here on the 27th!!(This post being written retrospectively).