Wednesday 25 March 2020

Day 2 and a massive surprise...

Another glorious spring day started  with two Buzzards over the garden and a white spp butterfly, too quick to tell if Small or Green-veined. Still only male Hairy foots in the garden.

Not much chance for variety, walk wise, in the coming weeks (months??) but I guess an hour of 'authorised' activity in this same area may produce a few inverts even if bird life variety is likrly to be very limited.

Elsewhere, plenty of Andrenas deemed flavipes by people far more knowledgeable than myself and another smart Andrena fulva. Whilst trying to photograph this a huge black beastie almost flew into me and certainly gave me a start especially when I realised it was a Violet Carpenter Bee!!!

All the Bee Flies I checked were Dark edged; I'm guessing other species are highly unlikely here. Few butterflies but a single Comma was new.

The swans are spending more time on or near the nest; two days ago a pair of cheeky Mallards were dozing and sat down on the shoulder of the nest whilst the swans were off feeding unconcerned.

Finally, the first Blackcap was heard singing from the far side of the dog walk field.

Below, Dark-edged Bee Fly, Andrena flavipes and Mute Swan nest